Saturday, July 21, 2012

Reflection 8: July 11, 2012

I do not think my philosophy of giftedness has changed too much.  I still agree with Renzulli to a great degree.  I know how important it will be to keep students motivated.  I know that my philosophy will change over time, it has to because I will change over time.  This will be especially important when I actually start teaching and see what works and does not work in my own classroom.  I would change my responses to the Assessment because I have learned so much during these past few weeks that I did not understand before about giftedness and gifted students.  I feel better prepared to actually teach gifted students, or at least be able to identify them and provide an adequate education when in my classroom.  I can do all this through the tools you have provided us: differentiation, compacting the curriculum, and actually trying to understand the diversity that exists within the gifted community.

Prior to this class, I did not think that gifted education was such a big sore spot.  It is a stigma to be labeled gifted, but it should not be.  Gifted education should be a priority, and we as a nation are falling behind on a global level.  I read about this topic for my exploring gifted education assignment.  I found the article very enlightening: we are not just falling behind, but declining!  moving in the opposite direction of everyone else in the world.  This actually gives me a bit of a panic attack.  I am a future teacher, and I am a parent as well.  How can the next generation compete with the rest of the world when we do not prepare them for it?  we seem to be taking everything for granted, and not recognizing that the education of our gifted students should be an important part of our education system.


I thought the document on questions and thought starters is really helpful.  While it can be used in any classroom, I know that it will be especially important in my science classroom.  Science requires creative thinking and problem solving, so it will be an important skill for my students to develop.  I also liekd the visualizations of the "spectrum".  This was so helpful in my understaning of the different types of problem solvers.  I plan to actually use one of those tests to determine what my students are like.  This will help me in creating group assignments and placing students in group labs.

1 comment:

  1. " I know that my philosophy will change over time, it has to because I will change over time." Exactly - it is fluid - we keep learning more and changing! :-)

    " How can the next generation compete with the rest of the world when we do not prepare them for it? we seem to be taking everything for granted, and not recognizing that the education of our gifted students should be an important part of our education system." -- Yes, and I just wish the politicians would realize this!

    " also liekd the visualizations of the "spectrum". This was so helpful in my understaning of the different types of problem solvers. I plan to actually use one of those tests to determine what my students are like. This will help me in creating group assignments and placing students in group lab." -- It really can help. And - you can check with your school to see if they want to give this assessment to everyone.

    ReplyDelete