Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Reflection 1: May 16, 2012

The thing that struck me most about this particular lesson is that the lack of regulation on gifted programs has led to many different standards all over the country. there is no one standard for any aspect of gifted programs:
  • how students are referred
  • how students are identified
  • how students are taught
  • the teachers that are provided to such students
I was a part of a gifted program in Alexandria while in elementary school and middle school.  at the beginning of 7th grade, i was placed in a standard math class.  After a few weeks, the teacher changed my class over to a pre-algebra class because everyone was so bored with the lessons.  i then moved to stafford towards the end of the year, and when I got there, I was placed in a standard math class again.  I finished out the year and then moved on to 8th grade math.  The teacher I spoke to for the algebra 1 class told me that maybe i was put in the standard 7th grade class because i was not smart enough for the algebra class.  I was in complete shock over how this teacher spoke to me and her lack of encouragement for challenging myself.  I had successfully completed my year in pre-algebra in alexandria, but it was not recognized when i transferred school.  while my situation is very limited and did not extend much farther, i have a better understanding of what gifted students may be going through.  how can they not feel frustrated within the standard classroom, and express this frustration in negative ways.

We also discussed the American view of gifted individuals: how crazy is it that we value originality and creativity and success, but then we stifle this in students by putting a stigma on giftedness?  This ambivalence towards giftedness is very irrational.  Also looking back on the history of gifted education, it seems that we may be going through cycles.  With the launch of Sputnik, we were motivated to improve the education system by increasing efforts in math and science, but this has since died off.  We do not hear of any of that anymore and it is surprising.  Today, we have STEM, but I am sure many students do not even know this exists (at the high school level).  This is not to say that English and social studies and other subjects are not important, there should be an emphasis on all subjects, especially if a student truly excels in one or more of these particular subjects. 

1 comment:

  1. "The teacher I spoke to for the algebra 1 class told me that maybe i was put in the standard 7th grade class because i was not smart enough for the algebra class." -- I cannot believe any teacher would say this to a student! What was done for you in Alexandria was the right thing to do... what was "undone" in Stafford - well... obviously they were not focused on meeting your needs at that time.

    ReplyDelete